"Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12
The Chaplain works collaboratively with, staff, student leaders, parents, and the larger community to foster and deepen the spiritual lives of students at Saint Dominic Academy in a vibrant community setting. Catholic teaching emphasizes that faith in Jesus Christ is a gift that cannot be imposed, but instead discovered freely in an atmosphere of love and respect.
By inviting students to take an active role in planning and carrying out daily prayer, weekly Mass, and the many retreats offered each year, the Chaplain encourages students to take ownership of their faith and to live it authentically and enthusiastically.
Building on and tying back into the theological instruction in the classroom, the Chaplain gives students the opportunity to put faith into action both on and off campus.
Fr. Seamus Griesbach has served as the Chaplain at both campuses of Saint Dominic Academy since the summer of 2014, in addition to his assignment as the Director of Vocations for the Diocese of Portland. Collaborating with staff, parents, and students, he carries out his ministry normally on Tuesdays in Lewiston and Wednesdays in Auburn. The ministry of the Chaplain includes:
- Pastoral counseling and care for staff, students and families as requested.
- Weekly Mass on each campus and providing regular access to confession and the other sacraments.
- Assisting with Catholic Schools Week and other Catholic celebrations throughout the year.
- Directing the Assistant Chaplain Program for high school students.
- In-class visits and support to theology teachers.
- Assistance with annual in-school day retreats for grades Prek - 5th grade on the Lewiston Campus.
- Oversight of the retreat program for grades 6 - 12 that includes both on and off campus retreats.
To contact Fr. Seamus, please email him: email@example.com